Saturday, July 31, 2010

Natal Day Festival: July 29 - August 2, 2010, Part 1 - July 31



Natal Day is the celebration of the founding of Halifax in 1749, and Dartmouth a year later in 1750. The Natal Day Festival was not started however until 1895, making this year the 115th anniversary. While the Festival officially started on July 29, I did not actually make it to any of the events until July 31.

At 8:00 AM, the Canadian Forces Base in Halifax hosted a free pancake breakfast on the Waterfront. Even though I was a little late in arriving, most of Halifax was still sleeping off their Friday Night (as the picture above would suggest), and so I had no problem procuring seconds after I wolfed down my first serving.

This was the 5th year the pancake breakfast had been run during the Natal Day Festival, and so I'm sure more people were expected to come later, because I heard from one of the servers that the poor sailors cooking the pancakes had started preparing at 4:30 AM. They must have been the new recruits.

After the pancake breakfast, I went to the YMCA to workout. There was yet another free all day/night concert at the Festival tent later that day (there's at least one every day, and two on some days), but I couldn't be bothered to go; there's only so much "noise" one EP can take in a given weekend.

Later that night I was sitting at home, when at 9:00 PM I looked at the schedule to plan the next day's events. It was at that time that I noticed the most spectacular fireworks show of the year was scheduled to start in an hour at the Waterfront. I hurried to get myself ready again, and pedalled back down to the Halifax Harbour.

In hindsight, I'm not sure if it was worth the 35 minute round trip at night to see 10 minutes worth of fireworks, but a motto is a motto, and at least I was able to get this stunning picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment